Monday 9 March 2009

Herbie Mann - Glory of Love (1967)

01.No Use Crying
02.Hold On I'm Coming
03.Glory of Love
04.Unchain My Heart
05.House of the Risin' Sun
06.The Letter
07.Upa, Neguinho
08.Love Is Far Stronger Than We
09.Oh, How I Want to Love You
10.In And Out.

Herbie Mann, fl
Roy Glover, Roland Hanna, Paul Griffin, p, org
Ron Carter, Earl May, bs
Grady Tate, Herb Lovelle, ds
Ted Sommers, Roy Ayers, vibes
Ray Barretto, Ted Sommer, Johnny Pacheco, perc
Eric Gale, Jay Berliner, Sonny Sharrock, gtr
Hubert Laws, fl, piccolo.


Review by Scott Yanow

Flutist Herbie Mann is backed by a large rhythm section and a small horn section on this Creed Taylor-produced A&M set (which has been reissued on CD). Actually the most interesting aspect of the R&B-oriented date (which includes such songs as "Hold on, I'm Comin'," "House of the Risin' Sun" and "Unchain My Heart") is that the up-and-coming flutist Hubert Laws is matched with Mann on several tracks.

1 comment: