Thursday 6 August 2009

Alphonse Mouzon - Funky Snakefoot (1974)

Review by Jason Ankeny
Although Alphonse Mouzon is celebrated largely for his drumming skills, the brilliant Funky Snakefoot is first and foremost a showcase for his keyboard prowess. Galvanized by its thick, greasy Arp, Moog, and organ solos, the album recalls Blue Note contemporaries like Gene Harris, albeit augmented by Mouzon's monster rhythms. Add his ragged-but-right vocals to the mix and Funky Snakefoot veers closer to mainstream R&B than virtually anything else the label ever released, but there's no denying the ferocity or virtuosity of this music. Mouzon's remarkable interplay with fellow keyboardists Harry Whitaker and Leon Pendarvis boasts a harmonic complexity that belongs solely to jazz, and the sheer vitality of cuts like "You Don't Know How Much I Love You" and "Where I'm Drumming From" is undeniable.

Alphonse Mouzon (Drums, Moog bass, ARP Odyssey synthesizer, Moog Synthsizer, Organ, and Tack Piano); Randy Brecker (Trumpet); Barry Rogers (Trombone); Andy Gadsden (Tenor Sax); Harry Whitaker (Acoustic Piano, Clavinet); Leon Pendarvis (Organ, Wurlitzer Electric Piano, Acoustic Piano); Mike Mandel (Fender Rhodes Piano, ARP Odyssey synthesizer programming); Richie Resnicoff (Guitar); Mark Harowitz (Pedal Steel Guitar & Banjo); Gary King (Fender Bass); Ray Armando (Congas & Bongos); Steve Berrios (Percussion); Angel Allende (Percussion); Dave Wittman (Moog Bass and Moog Synthesizer programming).

Recorded on December 10, 11, & 12 in 1973.

01.I've Given You My Love
02.You Don't Know
03.What How Much I Love You
04.I Gotta Have You
05.My Life Is Go Blue
06.Funky Snakefoot
07.My Little Rosebud
08.A Perryanent Love
09.The Beggar
10.Oh Yes I Do
11.Tara Tara
12.Where I'm Drumming From
13.Ism.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments:

Post a Comment